[TYPO3-dev] RFC - Remove DBAL in total

Mathias Schreiber [wmdb] mathias.schreiber at wmdb.de
Wed Feb 4 23:18:02 CET 2009

Dmitry Dulepov wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Mathias Schreiber [wmdb] wrote:
>> If DBAL is an extension the path would be like this:
>> - Set up TYPO3 with mysql
>> - Load Extension List
>> - Install DBAL
>> - Delete MySQL Database (if no longer needed)
>
> Imagine if the company uses Oracle exclusively. They have no training in MySQL and do not know how to install it. Will they choose a product that requires MySQL only to install such product?

As I stated before you already had a point, I don't see the reason to
repeat it.

>> Option number two would be to store the extension cache in an XML file
>> and use the PHP5 stuff to look things up.
>
> Extension cache updates hourly :)

umm... and?
The extension cache is the only blocker so moving that to an XML file is
  a valid option.
I don't see why it is easier to update the database table instead of
just downloading a file that is hopefully generated when a change in the
TER takes place.

cheers
Mattes