[TYPO3-dev] Naming-conventions and the "auto"-loader

Xavier Perseguers typo3 at perseguers.ch
Sat Dec 26 22:09:07 CET 2009

Hi,

> Xavier Perseguers schrieb:
>> Once something is in stable release (4.3), you have to correct /
>> enhance on trunk, deprecate it (with logger) but keep it compatible
>> for 2 releases anyway, that is deprecate it in 4.4 (trunk ATM) and
>> remove it in 4.6...
>
> thanks for your advise Xavier. Is this stuff written down somewhere for
> I didn't read about it yet.

This should appear in some (near) future on typo3.org

> Probably a simple missunderstanding, but isn't anything modified in
> trunk going into 4.3.1 allready? So if I would deprecate something in
> trunk it would be deprecated in 4.3.1 not 4.4 ... confusing. ;)

Not if you have a look at subversion. trunk is not 4.3.x anymore but the branch for developing 4.4 :-)

Something one not (yet) implied with Core development may not be aware of:

- trunk is always the branch for the next 4.x.0 release
- As soon as 4.x.0 is released (4.3.0 in our latest case), a dedicated branch TYPO3_4-x is created
- Each release is available as a tag in SVN
- Bugs to be fixed for the next release (currently 4.3.1 or 4.2.11) are made on their respective branch, not on trunk. That is on TYPO3_4-3 and TYPO3_4-2 respectively
- Patch versions (4.x.y where y > 0) may not change the API nor database structure, meaning deprecation cannot occur on branch 4.3, only with 4.4.0, that is, on trunk

HTH

--
Xavier Perseguers
http://xavier.perseguers.ch/en