[TYPO3-dev] Bugtracker for Dummies?

Mathias Schreiber [wmdb >] mathias.schreiber at wmdb.de
Mon Dec 7 18:56:26 CET 2009

Denyer Ec schrieb:
> Just my 2p...
> I would think that a more guided "Send people to the bugtracker"
> process would be part of the typo3.org redesign process that is,
> hopefully, under way. A lot of the problems Typo3 experiences are due
> to people not being adequately guided to the correct resources,
> leading to a lot of frustration and/or a lot of "Newbie" questions.
> Now, these can be solved on behalf of the newbie with some googling
> and some spare time, sure, but it's unreasonable to give that as a
> response when other organisations and codebases do a much more
> complete job and thus tempt away those newbies.

While I generally agree I think it is REALLY difficult to get this into
the right direction.
You simply cannot design the home-page of TYPO3.org like
"Hi, I want to write Code" and
"Hi, I think, I found a bug" and
"Hi, I want to invest" and
"Hi, I want to evaluate the product" and
"Hi, I want to find and extension" and
"Hi, I want to find upcoming events"

and so on...

Would be a little too much "Hi, I want"'s for one single page.
Right now the navigation is pretty straightforward - at least I would
look or "Development" in order to submit a bug.
I admit that a page with "how do I submit a bug?" would come in handy
from time to time - on the other hand we need to deal with bugs being
reported for the 4th time and then being assigned accordingly, which is
a lot of work.

> Given that the life of Typo3 depends upon the size of its userbase, I
> would think that clear, accessible and userfriendly routing of users
> to information would be a paramount concern.

I like to hear input like this, honestly.
Got any idea how to guide the 50 different users with 50 different
questions in a convinient way? This is where the bit our teeth out while
I worked on TYPO3.org.

> "Google the mailling list" as a response will only drive people away.
 > Today's children are tomorrow's core developers.

Granted, I don't like this attitude either - although I find myself in
the same situation from time to time.
For me personally it's quite hard to keep my temper down if a question
has been asked and I need to switch 4 threads down to see the solution.

The problem is that a lot of the real pros here help out from time to
time while they need to relax from their everydays work, and they are
often mistaken with some "Hey, I offer free unlimited support" guy :)

--
TYPO3 certified interogator
T3DD09 Entertainer