[TYPO3-dev] scheduler script in TYPO3 4.3

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Wed Dec 2 21:33:57 CET 2009

Hi,

Francois Suter schrieb:

> If you set up your cron job to run every hour, then your tasks are going
> to run also every hour, no matter if you set them up to run every 5
> minutes.
>
> The Scheduler does not know at what frequency it is being called by the
> cron daemon, so it cannot warn the user. However if you go to the BE
> module you should see your tasks being nearly always late. That gives an
> indication that the frequency of the cron job is not appropriate with
> regards to what you are trying to achieve.

Maybe the scheduler could indeed check in which interval it is being run
in the cronjob and offer a warning for tasks that won't be able to be
executed "in time" because of it. A feature for 4.4. Would that be possible?

>> Second thing: The script to execute needs an argument "scheduler",
>> which in my opinion could give problems for a lot of users, because
>> often the hosters cron configuration does allow to set a path to
>> script only without arguments. So it might be better and more
>> userfriendly if TYPO3 would come with a single script that just
>> handles the scheduling things. (I know that its actually easy to
>> create another script that calls cli_dispatch.phpsh scheduler, but
>> thats not optimal and i'm having problems on one of my servers to set
>> it up)
>> Maybe I should create a bug report for this? What do you think?

> The whole point of the cli_dispatch script is to be the central way to
> call TYPO3 from the command line. And the whole point of the Scheduler
> is to have a central place for recurring jobs. So I wouldn't introduce a
> separate script. At least not in the Core. But you could create an
> extension that provides a script encapsulating the call to cli_dispatch.

I agree with Francois. It is nice the way it is, and a TYPO3 hoster will
know how to set up the cronjob for the scheduler, if this service is
provided to its customers. And you could probably create a wrapper shell
script to call the scheduler and add that as your cronjob if the hoster
doesn't allow you otherwise.

Cheers,
Ernesto