[TYPO3-dev] Shared cache for translations

Ingo Renner ingo at typo3.org
Tue Sep 30 23:15:46 CEST 2008

Martin Kutschker wrote:

Hi Masi, hi Stefano

> If we can use a shared extension cache then we can also share the
> translations.

I disagree, as I doubt that this cache (and also the cache for
extensions in EM) would speed up anything. The extensions still need to
be looked up, same goes for labels. The only thing that is reduced is
storage space needed to store that stuff.
As storage is not expensive today I do not see a need here.

What's more I absolutly do not want anybody else on the server to mess
with my data (imagine a shared hosting environment). Nobody should be
able to update my labels other than me.

One more: Even the new caching framework is not made for this, each
cache created with that framework is installation specific and should
stay like that. Changing it in the direction proposed here would be
quite complicated and work expensive. In the end these (probably)
seldomly used things would probably cost too much performance and would
nix the gain the use of real caches would bring.

Ingo

--
Ingo Renner