[TYPO3-dev] output ends up in white page

bernd wilke xoonsji02 at sneakemail.com
Fri Sep 12 17:56:31 CEST 2008

on Fri, 12 Sep 2008 12:59:02 +0200, Steffen Kamper wrote:

> Hi,
>
> this is a wellknown situation, but many users don't know what to do if
> they end up in white page.
>
> It's seen in the forums or other lists that many users ask about what to
> do.
>
> What can we do to enhance the situation? Of coarse some announcements
> could help, that displayErrors has to be activated to see what goes
> wrong, but the problem is to reach most users, so where is the right
> place for doing this? May be on typo3.org/development a FAQ has to be
> created with the most well known errors while developing
>
> Further we could enhance the error handling. This was discussed in some
> threads. May be with displayErrors=0 the errors could be fetched and the
> standard TYPO3-errorbox cold tell that there occured a php error so the
> page could not be displayed, enable displayErrors to see more details.

I doubt that you can catch all php-errors and present an error-page.
most blank pages are php-errors, so no TYPO3 output can be done at the
end.

I think blank page is ok for a normal visitor (instead of hints about
errors in configuration), but normaly an unexperienced TYPO3-admin
doesn't know what to do and asks in forums.

maybe it would be helpfull to automaticly increase php-errorlogging on
screen while a BE-User is logged in.
as the logging can be configured in install-tool it should be possible to
increase it on BE-login. at least if the BE-user has admin-level.

bernd