[TYPO3-dev] new EXT:categorize to categorize everything

Franz Koch typo.removeformessage at fx-graefix.de
Mon Oct 27 13:41:53 CET 2008

Hi Georg,
> Franz Koch wrote:
>> and another categorization extension *sigh* :(. Why haven't you joined
>> forces with Mads Brunn and his "tx_categories" extension which has the
>> same aim as yours, and why haven't I read about your extension in the
>> ECT list?
>
> I looked at the code right now and it is some *big* steps ahead and the
> whole backend looks great! You are right that it would be a big waste to
> let this be dying at forge and doint it all on my own again.
>
> As far as I can see the one and only thing missing is the frontend and
> some nice-to-have features which are optional.
>
> Franz (K.) how do you see that?

I see it the same, and I'd be delighted if you'd decide to reuse or
finish extension. Maybe Mads version could be the basic extension
providing all category related BE-features and some API for fetching
them and your new extension could handle the FE-part or something. Or
just simply merge them.

Things I noticed or "know" about Mads extension that far:

- every record in TCA can be categorized without touching or extending
any other db table (but a additional hook in the core might be needed to
make that perfect)

- support for nested categories as well as related categories is given

- he seemed to be working on some clipboard handling stuff

- every record is enabled to be categorized by default (which might be
discussed if this is good or not)

- a BE-module is missing where you can configure which DB-tables should
be categorizable and which not - but the basic functionality for that is
implemented and I think a API for this too

- there should also be already a API for fetching related categories for
usage in own extensions

- it's currently missing a limitation of categories to certain record
types like - but that should not be a big problem to add

- versioning is missing

- there is a basic manual

--
kind regards,