[TYPO3-dev] Extensions need update for 4.3!

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Tue Oct 14 12:39:39 CEST 2008

Dmitry Dulepov wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Jigal van Hemert wrote:
>> No matter what TYPO3 has defined as the "rules" for changes in
>> various versions, 4.3 is considered a minor update by most people
>> and they expect it to be completely backwards compatible regarding
>> extensions, scripts, etc.
>
> The consideration is totally wrong. 4.3 is a version with new
> features and new functionality. It is not a minor update. Only 4.2.x,
>  4.1.x are updates, they may not violate compatibility. Any newer 4.x
>  versions can if it is really necessary.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_versioning

I do not consider wikipedia to contain the absolute truth, but it's
often a good source of a general consensus.

"In principle, in subsequent releases, the major number is increased
when there are significant jumps in functionality, the minor number is
incremented when only minor features or significant fixes have been
added, and the revision number is incremented when minor bugs are fixed."

If TYPO3 version numbers are used differently a big warning sign might
be needed :-)
OTOH Ingo might not find it necessary, because it was never stated
anywhere that a .x version is a minor update ;-)

--
Jigal van Hemert.