[TYPO3-dev] Extensions need update for 4.3!

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Tue Oct 14 12:23:32 CEST 2008

Dmitry Dulepov wrote: on 14.10.2008 12:06:

> Jigal van Hemert wrote:
>> No matter what TYPO3 has defined as the "rules" for changes in various
>> versions, 4.3 is considered a minor update by most people and they
>> expect it to be completely backwards compatible regarding extensions,
>> scripts, etc.
>
> The consideration is totally wrong. 4.3 is a version with new features
> and new functionality. It is not a minor update. Only 4.2.x, 4.1.x are
> updates, they may not violate compatibility. Any newer 4.x versions can
> if it is really necessary.

It is wrong, but not totally. 4.3 is of course not a minor update, but
still we maintain backwards compatibility. It usually is possible, even
if it is sometimes more work for us ("compatVersion", upgrade paths),
and I would not start negleting this very important part of our job as
core developers. This is one part of TYPO3 that most people admire and I
certainly also cherish: Upgrading is "so easy". Even upgrading from 3.8
to 4.0 maintained backwards compatibility on almost every aspect.

Cheers,
Ernesto