[TYPO3-dev] Extensions need update for 4.3!

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry at typo3.org
Tue Oct 14 12:30:48 CEST 2008

Hi!

Jigal van Hemert wrote:
> If a rule exists, but it's not enforced then in a practical sense there
> is no rule.

So, if there is no police around, your car goes on the red signal? Mine doesn't.

> If you know that an action of yours will harm others (and you now know
> that enforcing stricter type checking will harm others) and you
> willfully perform this action, you *do* something wrong!

If I know that my action will increase security and harm those who did not care to obey the rules, I increase security and delibirately forget about those who did not care.

> Common sense tells you that it is okay to destroy people's website
> because you want to teach some "lazy developers" a lesson?
> Let your common sense take a look at who really will feel the
> consequences of this.

You always can choose one of several methods:
- do not upgrade
- test, then upgrade
- test, search for replacement of some extensions, test, upgrade

There is nothing in this change that stops you from doing upgrades. This change only asks you to install extensions, which has higher quality. Is this bad?

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 Core team