[TYPO3-dev] Extensions need update for 4.3!

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Tue Oct 14 12:23:40 CEST 2008

Ingo,

Step away from the computer, look out your window and think about the
non-developers who use TYPO3 for their website and about the people who
had their website built with TYPO3. Think about what these changes mean
to them.

Now go back to this discussion an reread your answers :-)

Ingo Renner wrote:
> Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] wrote:
>> I am more for a road in between. Educate the devs is ok, but still
>> keep it working for the (bigger) masses. :)
>
> no really. again, there's nothing we did wrong. I care for those who
> did everything right, but I don't for those who are lazy and force
> new work on us by being lazy...

If a rule exists, but it's not enforced then in a practical sense there
is no rule.

>> We gain nothing in changing it now apart from the fact that some
>> extensions will stop working.
>
> I say this is not our fault and as mentioned before: tell me a single
>  reason why I should care?

If you know that an action of yours will harm others (and you now know
that enforcing stricter type checking will harm others) and you
willfully perform this action, you *do* something wrong!

I do not know the legal consequences, but look at it from the position
of someone who has a TYPO3 website: you know that extensions will stop
working (properly), you tested TYPO3 with some frequently used
extensions and you have seen that some of them do not work (properly)
anymore, you release TYPO3 without a very clear warning that a lot of /
some of the extensions will stop working, then you are -- at least
morally -- responsible for the consequences.

All extensions are presented on the TYPO3 website and they can be
installed from the TYPO3 backend without any notification that they are
not part of the TYPO3 system, that TYPO3 does not approve them and that
they might break (part of) the system when they are installed. In other
words: extensions are part of TYPO3 (at least they appear to be a part
to the users of TYPO3)!

>> Won't break any extension, we still have type hinting, everybody
>> happy?
>
> nope.

Everybody, but you :-(

>> We need to use some common sense here and there in those kind of
>> stuff.
>
> yes, but common sense tells me different things for this case.

Common sense tells you that it is okay to destroy people's website
because you want to teach some "lazy developers" a lesson?
Let your common sense take a look at who really will feel the
consequences of this.

--
Jigal van Hemert.