[TYPO3-dev] TinyMCE port for TYPO3 (tinymce_rte) needs testing

Thomas Allmer at at delusionworld.com
Tue Oct 14 12:19:46 CEST 2008

Dmitry Dulepov wrote:
> Can you give some more information? Why yet another one? There are
> already working editors. What do you plna for yours? How will it be
> better than others? :) It is good to know before trying to test (i.e. is
> it worth testing?).

from the wiki:
1. a very simple and straight forward port of TinyMCE for TYPO3 (uses
latest Version of TinyMCE)

this was one of our main reasons to create this. tinyrte uses a far too
old version of TinyMCE. The update process should be easy - and it is
(just copy paste)

2. supports all languages  from TinyMCE with an separate extension  (you
can choose)

similar approach as tinyrte. Supports english and german out of the box,
for the rest you need a separate extension (or you can easily create
your own with just the languages you need)

3. almost the same configuration format as TinyMCE

we think that RTE problems should stay where they are - at the RTE (in
this case TinyMCE). So we tried to simplify the configuration as much as
possible. All TinyMCE configuration is done in the RTE.default.init part.

So if you have a working config with TinyMCE you can copy paste it (you
just have to replace all : with = and you don't need to ".." any value).
If there is a problem with the RTE, like wrong css classes, want other
buttons, want other sizes, whatsoever... these are now TinyMCE problems
and can solved as such (give links to TinyMCE homepage/wiki/forum).

There is only one plugin which is specific for TYPO3 and this the
typo3filemanager. All non TinyMCE config is done in RTE.default .

4. complete configuration with Page TSconfig
5. override default configuration for users in the User Tsconfig

I always get confused by the many ways you can configure htmlarea and
tinyrte. Do I have to do this in the extension manager, or as constants,
or as pageTS, or as templateTS.

So we made it in a clear way. All configuration is done with TSconfig.
You can override the default config in the root pageTS or make
individual configs for every page. You can also override the pageTS
config with the userTS config.

I believe this to be the best approach as it gives you all the power but
  still works quite straight.

6. reasonable configuration for RTE Transformations to allow tables,
styles, classes, ids, etc. directly in the RTE

something that always bothered me. Maybe I'm to dumb but fore ME (!!)
it's always a pain in the ass to configure htmlarea to just work. (so
much configuration just to allow tables, inline style, classes ... ) I'm
not sure if this is still the case as I haven't used htmlarea in quite a
  wile. But with tinymce_rte I just install it and everything works as I
expect it to work. And we hardly here anything from our clients about
the RTE. Before that we always had a hard time as clients don't
understand why htmlarea works some ways like it does.

> I'd say the focus should be on supporting all TYPO3 features. If it is
> nice to configure but it does not work well with TYPO3 forms and
> transformations, it will be a failure. If you could have a normal TYPO3
> link window instead of custom one, it will be good.

We used the TinyMCE way to create the link so the RTE can take all care
of "target, classes, events..." but with one click you can select the
TYPO3 Tree (looks similar to tinyrte, but with dynamic size).
If there is really a need to create links with just one click this could
easily be done bye adding additional buttons to the TinyMCE plugin
typo3filemanager and some configuration to the browse scripts. But
currently we are happy with how it works.

tiynmce_rte uses the default ts_css, ts_images, ts_links but with XCLASS
for t3lib_parsehtml_proc TS_links_rte($value) as I found no way to
configure it to give back what I needed. (seems to be to specific for
htmlarea as it always return ?id=) which I definitely don't want.

The user of the RTE can also just insert a link with the id. So <a
href="22">test<a> is a valid link. So if you know the id you don't even
need to open the pageprowser (which will just return the id)

I'm not sure if this is the proper way to do it, but this is how it
worked. I also tried something like this but

HTMLparser_rte {
   # REMOVES THE ?id= ADDED IN THE DEFAULT DB->RTE TRANSFORMATION
   # DON'T GET CALLED ALWAYS, SO WE NOW USE XCLASS :(
   # tags.a.fixAttrib.href.userFunc = tx_tinymce_rte_base->fixLinks
}

as seen this won't work. (the fixLinks just removed the ?id=, but didn't
get called if the links is inside an h1-6, li, ...)

> Please, see this e-mail as an interest in TinyMCE. I used those on
> several sites but they all failed in certain parts and I had to go back
> to htmlarea, which is not the brightest editor available.

We find TinyMCE a really great product. (we are in no way connected to
it) And the good part about it is that it's a really actively developed
product. If there is a bug in the RTE report it and they will take care
of it.

It's rather strange that the TYPO3 core developer needs to patch a JS
RTE. (just my own opinion)

I'm sorry for the rather long post... hope everything is clear now . If
any question remains open please just ask.

with best regards

PS: the browse_links.php and rte_select_image.php can definitely be
improved so if anyone could take a look would be great.

--
Thomas Allmer
WEBTEAM Software & IT-Marketing GmbH