[TYPO3-dev] Moving Workspace code into a separate system extension

Martin Kutschker martin.kutschker-n0spam at no5pam-blackbox.net
Fri May 30 12:34:17 CEST 2008

Ingo Renner schrieb:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm just starting to add new features to workspace.

Good luck :-)

 > In that process I
> again noticed that there is double code in the core relating to
> versioning and workspaces.

Yep. The functionality is directly coded into the Core (TCEmain et al).
The UI for versioning is in an extension. The UI for workspaces is in a
module (typo3/mod). That creates an odd interdependency. The WS UI
should be an extension that depeneds on the versioning UI extension.

It should be fairly straightforward to change the module into an sysext
*. Note that there is some code duplication you should get rid of. I
suggest that the versioning extension gets some hooks that the WS
extension uses.

Maybe there are some is_loaded() parts left for the context menu of the
page tree and the list module etc. But maybe this can be changed by
introducing some proper hooks.

Masi

* I think it would be a good idea to turn ALL typo3/mod modules into
sysexts. There's IMHO no point in this system any more and one path less
to check for (eg for icons) makes live easier.