[TYPO3-dev] Sphinx for indexed_search

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Mon May 5 20:55:29 CEST 2008

Michael Stucki wrote: on 05.05.2008 15:09:

>> AFAIK Michael tries to use Mysql's FULLTEXT index. I don't think it's
>> that complicated to do. But how does this behave with DBAL. Any chance
>> somebody extends the concept to cover the TEXT indices (only Mysql calls
>> it FULLTEXT) of other RDBMS.
>
> You are right that adding a FULLTEXT index is not difficult - the difficulty
> lies in keeping the compatibility with other DBMs.
>
> I had to restructure the indexed search extension in a way that other
> extensions can take over and modify the indexing / searching process.

That sounds cool!

Have you done testing on how much faster it is to use FULLTEXT indexes
for single word searches in favor than our "good-old" indexed word-list?
I would expect that to have similar speed. Of course multi-word searches
and especially phrases should gain a major speed bump.

I will be there for the "Speed up indexed_search" speech, and am eager
to discuss the details with you!

Cheers,
Ernesto