[TYPO3-dev] Sphinx for indexed_search

ries van Twisk typo3 at rvt.dds.nl
Mon May 5 22:06:39 CEST 2008

On May 5, 2008, at 1:55 PM, Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] wrote:

> Michael Stucki wrote: on 05.05.2008 15:09:
>
>>> AFAIK Michael tries to use Mysql's FULLTEXT index. I don't think
>>> it's
>>> that complicated to do. But how does this behave with DBAL. Any
>>> chance
>>> somebody extends the concept to cover the TEXT indices (only Mysql
>>> calls
>>> it FULLTEXT) of other RDBMS.
>>
>> You are right that adding a FULLTEXT index is not difficult - the
>> difficulty
>> lies in keeping the compatibility with other DBMs.
>>
>> I had to restructure the indexed search extension in a way that other
>> extensions can take over and modify the indexing / searching process.
>
> That sounds cool!
>
> Have you done testing on how much faster it is to use FULLTEXT indexes
> for single word searches in favor than our "good-old" indexed word-
> list?
> I would expect that to have similar speed. Of course multi-word
> searches
> and especially phrases should gain a major speed bump.
>
> I will be there for the "Speed up indexed_search" speech, and am eager
> to discuss the details with you!
>
> Cheers,
> Ernesto

Just for my curiosity,

How well does  full text indexes work with other languages?

If I search for 'Tire' will it also find 'tires' (english) and for
dutch if I search for 'band'
will it find 'banden', or the other why around. (when I search for
tires and also need to fine tire).

What languages are supported?

Ries