[TYPO3-dev] Sphinx for indexed_search

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Mon May 5 15:09:42 CEST 2008

Hi Masi,

>>> What do you think of Sphinx as indexed_search replacement?
>>
>> nothing. Seriously, just wait for the first 4.3 patches after T3DD ...
>> something's cooking =)
>
> Please do not repeat what has been done before: closed door development
> with the we-know-best attitude *. I favour an open process with a little
> discussion on the details of the implementation.

Don't worry, we'll publish the patches as soon as we have a stable version.

> AFAIK Michael tries to use Mysql's FULLTEXT index. I don't think it's
> that complicated to do. But how does this behave with DBAL. Any chance
> somebody extends the concept to cover the TEXT indices (only Mysql calls
> it FULLTEXT) of other RDBMS.

You are right that adding a FULLTEXT index is not difficult - the difficulty
lies in keeping the compatibility with other DBMs.

I had to restructure the indexed search extension in a way that other
extensions can take over and modify the indexing / searching process.

> * Or is this only an attempt of marketing?

Definitely not. We didn't advertise it outside of here.

- michael
--
Use a newsreader! Check out