[TYPO3-dev] stdWrap for all TLO's

Christopher Torgalson bedlamhotel at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 11:25:01 CET 2008

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 11:03 AM, Dmitry Dulepov [typo3]
<dmitry at typo3.org> wrote:
> Hi!
>

>  Steffen Kamper wrote:
>  > no. imho it's nested objects.
>  > if you do something in ext like
>
>  No. I mean, I have in one of my exts:
>
>  plugin.tx_ext_pi1 = USER
>  plugin.tx_ext_pi1 {
>         userFunc = tx_ext_pi1->main
>         stdWrap.wrap = <div class="xyz">|</div>
>  }
>
>  I process this stdWrap myself for my own purposes and not on the whole content. Now if this property is added to the core, it will be processed by the core on the whole content of my plugin. And you don't feel this is a problem?

Ok. Finally I understand the objection--and how the word 'automatic'
got introduced to the discussion. So the problem is that some
extensions use stdWrap IN TYPOSCRIPT, not in PHP. Why did nobody make
this distinction explicit earlier?

If we're talking about the use of stdWrap in PHP directly, Steffen's
point is still right (this is what I thought we were discussing too).
In TS, Ernesto and Dmitry have a point. Strictly speaking, in a case
like Dmitry's example, I'd say it's the extension that has it wrong
(i.e. since in every possible case except USER, .stdWrap on the base
of a cObject does affect the whole cObject), but of course advocating
that we break existing extensions just for such an abstract reason
would be stupid of me, so I won't do it :-)

Because of cases like Dmitry's sample, "_stdWrap" (or similar) seems a
tolerable and workable solution.

--
Christopher Torgalson
http://www.typo3apprentice.com/