[TYPO3-dev] Revamped FORM cObj, take 2

Francois Suter fsuter at cobweb.ch
Wed Mar 19 09:07:15 CET 2008

Hi Patrick,

> I don't agree on your thought of the markup of forms. It's not using any
> fieldsets or legends which are intended for use in forms. Using these
> two make a form usable and accessible

OK, big misunderstanding here. Let me clarify.

All the things I wrote are not about HTML markup, but about FORM syntax
and having the flexibility to render the form elements. I have read the
article you mention and you certainly have noticed that my markup users
ol, li and label. The only thing it doesn't use is fieldset and legend,
but it's an example and not a proposal for a default markup.

I fully agree that the default TypoScript configuration for form
rendering should follow the Sitepoint article, but since it's all about
TypoScript and configuration it should also be possible to change the
rendering and not use fieldset when one doesn't want to for some reason
or other.

Now my main point in this discussion is to have the possibility to have
a number of structuring elements (the proposed ---***---) which can be
rendered any way one wishes, be it fieldsets or other. I feel having
only one grouping level (fieldsets) is not enough for structuring
complex forms.

I hope my point is clearer and I would dearly like an answer to this
proposal.

 > and because of the use of <ol> <li> perfectly usable for Prototype in
 > the Form Wizard.

I'm sorry but I don't understand this. What does the rendering (markup)
have to do with the wizard? In my understanding, the wizard helps
setting up the form, i.e. generate the syntax. The markup is applied
when rendering the form using TS configuration. Or did you mean to shunt
out the whole TS part and generate markup straight away? I hope not,
because this would be a most un-TYPO3 way of doing things.

This is why I wanted to start a discussion about syntax, because the
revamping of the FORM object seems to be (up to now) only about the
wizard, whereas I think the wizard is only part of the solution.

Cheers

--

Francois Suter