[TYPO3-dev] TYPO3 4.2: Tables in content elements break backend layout

Uschi Renziehausen typo3news at otherone.de
Sun Mar 16 18:25:16 CET 2008

Hi Masi,

Martin Kutschker wrote:
> Uschi Renziehausen schrieb:
>> Hi devs,
>>
>> I just encountered a more or less serious problem in BE-Layout, if a
>> content element contains a medium size or large table coming from RTE.
>> If you open up a page to edit it's contents, that table is rendered
>> without any space whatsoever, so you end up with one large line. Since
>> the browser cannot wrap that line, you end up with a horizontal
>> scrollbar and your edit icons of sight.
>>
>> Apart from that a string like that is hardly decipherable for the
>> human eye.
>>
>> There should at least be spaces and/or bars between the cells and a
>> linebreak for each tr.
>>
>> Here is an example string (222 chars)
>>
>> SingularPluralKasusmfnmfnNom.longuslongalongumlongilongaelongaGen.longilongaelongilongorumlongarumlongorumDat.longolongaelongolongislongislongisAkk.longumlongamlongumlongoslongaslongosAbl.longolongalongolongislongislongis
>>
>> Can someone please do something about this? Even for 4.2? Perhaps one
>> could also crop those lines?
>>
>> Should I make an entry in BT?
>
> If it's a bug (in your eyes), the answer is always yes.

It is a bug in my eyes.

> Otherwise please stick the list's rules. New threads must start with a
> patch for a bug fix a or feature.

Those are the list rules for core list, but this one is the dev list. I
would not be able to write that patch :-(

> Anyway, do I understand you correct when I assume that this behaviour
> only occurs when the RTE is disabled?
No, the RTE is enabled. We do not talk about that page where you edit
one content element, but the one you get to if you click on the
pagetitle in the pagetree, the one with the overview of the content
elements. Is there an official name for it? URL looks like this:
http://spinne.uni-erfurt.t3/typo3conf/ext/templavoila/mod1/index.php?id=528

  I think that a transform could add
> spaces or line breaks around and within a table - if it is certain that
> the content is indeed html.
CE is normal text with RTE enabled.

  Further question: is this behaviour new (as
> your subject line suggests)? I don't think that it differs from previous
> TYPO3 versions.

Hm, cannot tell you for certain right now, but if the rendering of
tables has not been changed, there will be no difference between older
versions and 4.2. Only, now the table editor in RTE is really nice, so
more people will use it.
Mind you, the problem only occurs if your table has a lot of columns and
there is only one word in each column. The problem also might occur if
you have a long long ol/ul with each li only containing one word. I
think this is why the issue remained undetected.

I could try to reanimate a 4.1 version for testing.

Uschi