[TYPO3-dev] Revamped FORM cObj, take 2

Patrick Broens patrick at patrickbroens.nl
Wed Mar 12 13:43:14 CET 2008

Christopher Torgalson wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 10:23 AM, Steffen Kamper <steffen at sk-typo3.de> wrote:
>>  "Christopher Torgalson" <bedlamhotel at gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>  news:mailman.6996.1205313460.5943.typo3-dev at lists.netfielders.de...
>>  > On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 10:04 AM, Dmitry Dulepov [typo3]
>>  > <dmitry at typo3.org> wrote:
>>  >> Christopher Torgalson wrote:
>>  >>  > They are quite nicely styled, but they're a bit useless--they rely
>>  >>  > *totally* on javascript. No javascript, no form at all...
>>  >>
>>  >>  Who runs browser without JavaScript now? It is like using
>>  >> blacn-and-white monitor :)
>>  >
>>  >
>>  > Are we talking about BE or FE?
>>
>>  this is all BE concerned, the Form wizard is one Element in BE
>

> Even so. If there's any chance of new 4.x features winding up in 5.0,
> I say javascript-heavy implementations that *cannot* work without
> javascript are at least problematic.

We're not talking about 5. As long as no details are available, I don't
even bother keeping development for 5.x in mind.

And yes, it is possible to have this wizard without javascript as well
in the future, but we not only have to keep accessibility in mind, but
also usability. Let's say you want to add an item to the form, without
JS you need to save it before it shows up. When you want to change some
configuration of an item, you first have to select the element, reload
the configuration from server and then you can edit. It's much, much
easier and quicker when you drag an element in the form, click on the
label, edit it inline, drag another item in there etc. without saving
all the time.

Ever seen an online WYSIWYG text editor not working with JS, as Java
applet, or Flash?

For BE it's almost unthinkable working without JS.

Patrick