[TYPO3-dev] Revamped FORM cObj, take 2

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] dmitry at typo3.org
Wed Mar 12 10:10:00 CET 2008

Hi!

Ingo Renner wrote:
> I liked ExtJS myself when I played around with it. However I don't see
> it fit for the core as either ExtJS or browsers are leaky and working
> with it for sometime slows down browsers dramatically. I also feel that
> although ExtJS seems great, it is quite heavy...

Firsts, you always need to use compressed ExtJS. Uncompressed will load 10-15 sec while compressed 1-2 sec. Also it is possible to compile a custom ExtJS script (there is a service for it on extjs.com) and this may decrease ExtJS up to 30% in size. For example, you may leave forms but exclude grid, data transfer, XML support, etc.

Client caching makes loading almost immediate ("Expires" in .htaccess, makes 250ms for extjs-all-compressed.js).

I understand that prototype/scriptaculous servers us well and extjs may be an overhead... I have the same feeling. But at the same time I still think we could free ourselves from lots of home-made code and just reuse third party code (trees, data validation, form rendering, form submission through ajax, grids, etc). And it needs to be included only once, in the top script.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core team