[TYPO3-dev] current usage of DBAL, FYI: I gave up

Steffen Ritter info at rs-websystems.de
Mon Jun 9 08:03:29 CEST 2008

Hello Martin,
thanks for response.
If you mean with "toying around" that I'm just testing possibilities
without using it for production envirement you are wrong. I really have
to do a setup.

The background about is the following: Our network admins have an
administration database where all users are listet, all their registered
hosts with given ips an mac adresses. At all network joints clients have
only access if there IP and their MAC are valid combination.
I just created such an auth-service for typo3 automatically login
fe_users on, if their ip-mac combination is recognized. (added
hoststable with irre to fe_users). For this I worked with imported data
to my tables.

Network admins stated out, that this behavoiur is not "clean" enough,
they do not want a copy of their database (which is mysql too). So we
tried to figure out how to solve this problem... And thats the point
where DBAL comes in.
It said it enables us to use some tables in another DB. So we connected
the netadmin database over an ssl-tunnel to the webserver and connected
it with dbal to typo3,build fe_users, fe_groups and the mac-table with
views.
User import and editing worked fine, but we got the joining problems as
mentioned, because all systables are somehow joined with each other
(f.e. fe_groups and pages for access rules in frontend) and sohow should
lie in one database.

After figuring out our possibilities, debugging dbal and the "get DB
handler" feature and so on we decided that it is to much work to
completely rewrite dbal to work with different databases and joins since
we would have to start at zero. That's why, "I gave up" with dbal, it
simply was not able to solve our problems.

At last, we i transferred the whole typo3 database from the mysql-server
of the webserver to the netadmin (mysql-)server and configured typo3 to
use this on port 3000-ssl-tunneled database natively.
The clue to this is: I can have a view, selecting data from another
database on the same mysql server (which solves my problems). It's a
little more slower than db on same server, but it should work.

I hope now it'S clear, what I wanted to state out.

kind Regards

Steffen