[TYPO3-dev] current usage of DBAL, FYI: I gave up

Martin Kutschker martin.kutschker-n0spam at no5pam-blackbox.net
Sun Jun 8 21:11:07 CEST 2008

Steffen Ritter schrieb:
> Hello,
> I just wanted to let you know that I gave up my DBAL tests.
> With the patch mentioned and a useful configuration I could use fe_user
> and fe_group from another db (which I made typo3 redable by views).
> BUT thats where the real big problems startet... There is no Editing in
> BE possible without joining und fe_groups and no page rendering without
> joining fe_sessions on fe_users and so on... In fact, systables on
> another db won't work.

So you're using the table mapping feauture where only specific tables
reside in another DB. While this is possible and was meant as a nice
idea, I don't think this is the common setup. Usually you want to have
either a different DB than Mysql (most request I see are for PostreSQL,
Oracle and MS SQL).

Of course using some tables from DB a and others from DB b won't work
with joins. This nifty feature is definitely a bit tricky to use as you
have to know in advance which tables will be joined where.

Steffen, I have no idea if you need DBAL or just toying around, but I
suggest those who are interested in DBAL should concentrate on the one
DB for all tables configuration.

Masi