[TYPO3-dev] Very bad BE performance when loading the form for creating/editing a CE

Oliver Rowlands oliver at liquidlight.co.uk
Fri Jul 25 09:20:16 CEST 2008

Hi Uschi,

be_acl might be one of your problems as it adds a lot of complexity to
the backend permissions logic.

Though I doubt this is the root of your problems as your backend page

When it comes to TYPO3 performance there are a number of issues which
you need to be consider:

- Server hardware specification: what type of hardware are you currently
running your project on?

- Filesystem optimisations: what filesystem are you currently using? Has
it been optimised?

- PHP pre-processor: are you running a PHP accelerator (eg: eAccelerator)?

- mySQL optimisation: has your mySQL configuration been optimised for
your hardware? Are you using query caching? Are you running your tables
in myISAM or InnoDB?

- TYPO3 backend optimisations: have you optimised the TYPO3 backend?
Michiel posted a good article about the issue on his blog last month [1].

We currently run a number of large TYPO3 sites (5000+ pages) and have
not had any major performance issues with the backend as long as
everything has been optimised correctly.

The only problem we have had in the past is with large numbers of
sibling pages in the same branch of the page tree. In this case using
the local 'Mount as treeroot' option usually solved the problem.

Best regards,

Oliver

[1] http://typofree.org/articles/optimizing-typo3-backend-responsiveness/

--