[TYPO3-dev] Extensions and JS-frameworks

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Thu Jul 17 10:43:18 CEST 2008

Thorsten Kahler [dkd] wrote: on 17.07.2008 09:30:
> Hi,
>
> Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] schrieb:
>> Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] wrote:
>>> Can't the "frameworks" be provided as extensions and then we could
>>> use the regular "depends" conditions in the ext_emconf.php?
>>
>> A little problem with it is versioning of the frameworks. Some exts
>> may depend on the specific version of the framework or require newer
>> framework than exists in ext. I bumped into this with extjs: I want to
>> use the extjs ext in my private extension but extjs ext did not have
>> proper version in it.
>
> the "depends" logic also supports pointing to specific version ranges.
> I'm not sure whether the extension manager does support that as well,
> but that would be a different problem and not hard to manage.
>
> So I support Ernestos suggestion:
> - provide JS libraries solely as extensions in TER
> - use the version of the library as extension version
> - let these extensions provide two simple API calls to include the JS
> lib in all (via ext_localconf.php) or distinct (module / plugin) BE or
> FE pages.
> - don't deliver JS libs with extensions, but use the "depends" mechanism
> to have them at hand

That would be cool. The only "problem" I see there is that the we then
depend on those ext-authors to update their JS-extensions. If they are
gone MIA, we have a problem. :)

So maybe we need to get those extensions in a broader community's hand,
in SVN and with at least 2-3 developers to update it from time to time.

Cheers,
Ernesto