[TYPO3-dev] Extensions and JS-frameworks

Thorsten Kahler [dkd] thorsten.kahler at dkd.de
Thu Jul 17 09:30:44 CEST 2008

Hi,

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] schrieb:
> Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] wrote:
>> Can't the "frameworks" be provided as extensions and then we could use
>> the regular "depends" conditions in the ext_emconf.php?
>
> A little problem with it is versioning of the frameworks. Some exts may
> depend on the specific version of the framework or require newer
> framework than exists in ext. I bumped into this with extjs: I want to
> use the extjs ext in my private extension but extjs ext did not have
> proper version in it.

the "depends" logic also supports pointing to specific version ranges.
I'm not sure whether the extension manager does support that as well,
but that would be a different problem and not hard to manage.

So I support Ernestos suggestion:
- provide JS libraries solely as extensions in TER
- use the version of the library as extension version
- let these extensions provide two simple API calls to include the JS
lib in all (via ext_localconf.php) or distinct (module / plugin) BE or
FE pages.
- don't deliver JS libs with extensions, but use the "depends" mechanism
to have them at hand

Regards
Thorsten

--