[TYPO3-dev] Mysql 4.0

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] dmitry at typo3.org
Wed Jan 30 20:31:45 CET 2008

Hi!

Martin Kutschker wrote:
> Is anyone running TYPO3 on a Mysql 4.0 installation? This index
> definition breaks: KEY lookup_string( ref_table, ref_string( 600 ) )
>
> I had to reduce the 600 down to 200.

600 or even 200 is pretty stupid for index. If number of records is large, MySQL will not use this index because it is too large and wil revert to scanning full table. Much better to limit ref to maximum 32 characters. Depending on content of this field - even less.

> So, does that mean that TYPO3 require Mysql 4.1 all along and we simply
> didn't know?

MySQL 4.0 support is no longer exists. I think we should aim for 4.1 or newer.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core team