[TYPO3-dev] One TCEForms field is always empty. Need advice of experienced JS developers!

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] dmitry at typo3.org
Tue Jan 29 11:54:41 CET 2008

Hi!

Yesterday late evening I came across a problem. I cannot solve it myself, so I have to ask community to help me :)

Please, take a look at this screenshot:
http://typo3bloke.net/fileadmin/misc/title-problem.png

These are fields for fe_users table in TCEform. All fields work and display ok except one field, whose "name" attrbiute is "title" (added by sr_feuser_register). It is always empty on FireFox (=any Gecko-based browser?) and never saved after form submission. Quickly looking at it in JS debugger revealed that all fields in the form are visible to JS as HTMLInputElement (or HTMLSelectElement). All except "title" field, which is a NodeList. When TBE_EDITOR.fieldSet() tries to get value of this field, it gets nothing, so field is empty in the form and any changes to it are not submitted.

While it is not very critical to TYPO3 (field is not native TYPO3 field), I afraid this may happen with other fields. So if any experienced JS develop may tell why that particular field turns to NodeList, I would really appreciate it. I even compared HTML tags for different fields, nothing differs (except name, style and value tags, of course).

I think it may be related to the fact that there is attrbiute named "title" and field named "title" conflicts on the form element with "title" attribute. May it be the cause?

Thanks in advance for your help.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core team