[TYPO3-dev] Eclipse Newbie

Gijs Epping gijs.epping at efocus.nl
Wed Jan 23 09:11:53 CET 2008

Marcus Krause schreef:
> Stefan Geith wrote:
>> Hi Devs,
>>
>> I already tried several times to start using an IDE (eclipse or
>> whatever) for developping with Typo3, but I didn't have much success
>> (or maybe 'familiarization' ?) ...
>>
>> Maybe you Devs could answer me some (simple ?) questions ?
>>
>> a) Are there many Devs using an IDE for development or are
>>    there still some 'hardcore'-coders doing this with vi ?
>
> Project work is done via Eclipse. I only download the basic version of
> eclipse and then install necessary plugins via update sites.
>
> I do even have different Eclipse versions: One for PHP projects bundled
> with necessary plugins and one for Java projects. Advantage: Faster
> startup as only needed Plugins are loaded.
>
> I cannot recommend downloading Eclipse-All-In-One version as long as
> your PC does not have appropriate RAM!
>

>> b) If an IDE, then I should use Eclipse - right ?
>>    What Version should I download - PHPeclipse ?
>>    What plugins/extensions for Eclipse are a _must_ ?
>>    What plugins/extensions are useful ?
>
> PDT is the better choice. For version-control I use subclipse; with
> subversive I had some dependancy problems.
>

>> c) Maybe a silly question, but I have no idea about that:
>>    How/Where do I create new Workspaces -
>>    - One Worspace for every plugin and one for core-development ?
>>    - One for all plugins and another one for the core ?
>>      (If this, then every Plugin could be a 'project' - right ?)
>>    - Only one Workspace for all Typo3-Developpment ?
>>    - Where should I save these Workspaces - on my local harddisk
>>      or on the network-folder, where my Typo3 installation
>>      resides ?
>
> I do have only one workspace for each eclipse-version. (see above)
>

>> d) I uses a Windows-PC for developpment and a Linux-Server
>>    with LAMP, that is accessed by a network-share - Is this
>>    OK or should I have a local WAMP on my Dev-PC ?
>
> That's exactely what I have. Testserver (BSD) has Kernelspace NFS Server
> so can mount filesystem to local PC or Laptop. I highlight "Kernelspace"
> as I did have write errors with userspace NFS.
>

> Marcus

And in addition to this your remote editting tool(ssh, sft):
http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm/tutorial/

installation via help -> sofwtare updates:
using this uri http://download.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm/updates/2.0/

When installing you also need to add this to you library
CTD:
http://www.eclipse.org/cdt/downloads.php
use this uri for update:
http://download.eclipse.org/tools/cdt/releases/europa