[TYPO3-dev] Eclipse Newbie

Marcus Krause marcus.krause at tu-clausthal.de
Tue Jan 22 21:16:55 CET 2008

Stefan Geith wrote:
> Hi Devs,
>
> I already tried several times to start using an IDE (eclipse or
> whatever) for developping with Typo3, but I didn't have much success (or
> maybe 'familiarization' ?) ...
>
> Maybe you Devs could answer me some (simple ?) questions ?
>
> a) Are there many Devs using an IDE for development or are
>    there still some 'hardcore'-coders doing this with vi ?

Project work is done via Eclipse. I only download the basic version of eclipse
and then install necessary plugins via update sites.

I do even have different Eclipse versions: One for PHP projects bundled with
necessary plugins and one for Java projects. Advantage: Faster startup as only
needed Plugins are loaded.

I cannot recommend downloading Eclipse-All-In-One version as long as your PC
does not have appropriate RAM!

> b) If an IDE, then I should use Eclipse - right ?
>    What Version should I download - PHPeclipse ?
>    What plugins/extensions for Eclipse are a _must_ ?
>    What plugins/extensions are useful ?

PDT is the better choice. For version-control I use subclipse; with subversive I
had some dependancy problems.

> c) Maybe a silly question, but I have no idea about that:
>    How/Where do I create new Workspaces -
>    - One Worspace for every plugin and one for core-development ?
>    - One for all plugins and another one for the core ?
>      (If this, then every Plugin could be a 'project' - right ?)
>    - Only one Workspace for all Typo3-Developpment ?
>    - Where should I save these Workspaces - on my local harddisk
>      or on the network-folder, where my Typo3 installation
>      resides ?

I do have only one workspace for each eclipse-version. (see above)

> d) I uses a Windows-PC for developpment and a Linux-Server
>    with LAMP, that is accessed by a network-share - Is this
>    OK or should I have a local WAMP on my Dev-PC ?

That's exactely what I have. Testserver (BSD) has Kernelspace NFS Server so can
mount filesystem to local PC or Laptop. I highlight "Kernelspace" as I did have
write errors with userspace NFS.

Marcus