[TYPO3-dev] Separate Backend & Frontend Installation

Stefan Beylen typo3 at we-make.net
Wed Jan 16 19:32:33 CET 2008

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] wrote:
> You still need typo3/ and t3lib/ in both installations. For example, FE
> comes from typo3/sysext/cms but extensively uses t3lib/.

yes, two complete installs, apart from shared
uploads/fileadmin/typo3conf/typo3temp directories and using only one
database

> What you can do is lock /typo3 on the FE part with .htaccess or in
> virtual host configuration. Backend installation can have http
> authentication.

ok

> In fact it would be enough to use FireFox + HTTP digest authentication
> for typo3/. As far as I know (though I did not research it specially),
> it is very secure.

have to look at that one, never heard it before

>> does anyone see a problem with this approach? did I forget anything
>> important or did not think of any other problems that could occur?
> Hard to say. I doubt anyone tried it.

so I am the first then ;)

>> the frontend/backend instance would not be reachable from outside,
>> just from local network of course...
> Not sure what you mean by this statement.

there are more than one server, 4ex one zone cant be reached from
outside the internal network. there is one zone that is open to outside
(public webserver). so one install would be internal and cant be reached
from outside and one on the public server which can be reached from
outside. hope that clarifies the situation.

thx for your input!