[TYPO3-dev] Separate Backend & Frontend Installation

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] dmitry at typo3.org
Wed Jan 16 19:21:27 CET 2008

Stefan Beylen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> my client is very concerned about (currently unknown) security issues.

He can use mod_security, SpamHaus'es drop lasso, geographical blocking, etc. There are lots of methods.

> so I was thinking about making 2 separate installs, one for
> backend/frontend use with r/w-access to the database and one just for
> frontend use with readonly access to tt_content, pages, be_users,
> whatever and r/w access to cache tables and others necessary.

You still need typo3/ and t3lib/ in both installations. For example, FE comes from typo3/sysext/cms but extensively uses t3lib/.

What you can do is lock /typo3 on the FE part with .htaccess or in virtual host configuration. Backend installation can have http authentication.

In fact it would be enough to use FireFox + HTTP digest authentication for typo3/. As far as I know (though I did not research it specially), it is very secure.

> does anyone see a problem with this approach? did I forget anything
> important or did not think of any other problems that could occur?

Hard to say. I doubt anyone tried it.

> the frontend/backend instance would not be reachable from outside, just
> from local network of course...

Not sure what you mean by this statement.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core team