[TYPO3-dev] [TYPO3] Call for problems: MySQL 5 in TYPO3

Francois Suter fsuter at cobweb.ch
Fri Jan 11 16:57:04 CET 2008

Hi,

> MySQL strict mode postulates to have a DEFAULT value for each column
> having set NOT NULL (sounds logic, doesn_t it?).

<rant>
I don't want to start a flame war or derail the discussion, but no, I
don't find that logical.

A NOT NULL field means that it must absolutely hold a value. But there
are situations where you can't define a default value. Take the case of
date fields. MySQL sets a default date to 0000-00-00 which doesn't mean
anything since it's not real date!
</rant>

OK, sorry for that, I had to let it out :-)

Have a nice week-end all.

--

Francois Suter