[TYPO3-dev] Flexforms and languages

Daniel Pötzinger operation-lan at gmx.de
Fri Feb 8 00:16:48 CET 2008

Steffen Kamper schrieb:
> "Daniel Pötzinger" <operation-lan at gmx.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:mailman.1.1202423293.10949.typo3-dev at lists.netfielders.de...
>
>> FlexForms (FCE) have internal translation handling, that means the
>> translation is stored in the XML of the record itself. Two diffrent Modes
>> are supported:
>> - langChildren=1 (translation with fallback possibilities, saved in XML as
>> siblingelement)
>> - langChildren=0 (seperate structures in the XML)
>>
>> While langChildren=1 is the recommended setting for Contentelements.
>>
>> (You have to set the FCE itself to language "All" (because the element
>> should be shown in all languages - and the translation is handled inside)
>> (=> this is the best practice like described in l10ndoc - but its worse to
>> communicate to users))
>>

>> If you set langDisable=1 the translation handling in the flexform is
>> disabled. This is recommended setting for Container-Elements (like a 2
>> column grid or most of the Page DS). With this setting there is no
>> translation feature supported by the TV-Page Modul imho. (And not
>> supported according to the localisation-guidline dmitry pointed out)
>>
>> However from a pure technical view you can combine this flexform
>> localisation with the classic one (=pure database overlay record is
>> created). This works out-of-the box if you create the overlayrecord by
>> yourself and edit the reference (l18parent) to the default element.
>> BUT:
>> *This is not supported by the PAGE modul
>> *you have no fieldbased fallback
>> *you have no diff view for the fields.
>>

>> (Since we are working hard on improved
>> languagehandling/fallback/visibility I hope we can show our new features
>> at the T3DD08 maybe.)
>>

> Hi Daniel,
>
> thanls for this excellent explanation, i didn't understood this before but
> now this makes sense for me.
> One little more: what's the reason for own language handling, is this
> because TV?
> (I mean overlay technique still exists)
Several, somewhere above should be a old thread from me with a document
attached "[TYPO3-dev] Proposal: Advanced Language Settings"
* multifallback of languages with or without including the default language
* independed languagesetting for diffrent languages (like on language
falls back and another requires translation etc)
* the possibility to control the visibility of elements for each
language on a per element level

* maybe add the langDatabaseOverlay feature for FCEs to have more
possibilities with workspaces and independed translations (see thread above)