[TYPO3-dev] Keeping a history of old URLs with RealURL

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] dmitry at typo3.org
Wed Feb 6 10:04:45 CET 2008

Hi Daniel!

Daniel Pötzinger wrote:
> But thats not a prefered solution in all cases:
> I would expect something like:
> - create the new path for cache
> - create a 303/301 redirect from the old to the new path and keep that
> redirect for a configured amount of time.

You can use "Redirects" in Web>Module for it. I use it quite a lot on my own sites, works well.

But path cache is better because you may have both old a new paths for page and even several levels of it. For example, old paths was:

/path/subpath1/subpath2/subpath3

Next you moved page to:

/path/subpath1/subpath3

So you set expiration time on the old path to a month. RealURL will redirect-permanent during the whole month from old path to new path.

Next you move page to another path, so you can set expiration time on second path. And if anyone comes to a first path, realurl will redirect to a new path again! Do you see the advantage of path cache? :)

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core team