[TYPO3-dev] Keeping a history of old URLs with RealURL

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] dmitry at typo3.org
Tue Feb 5 14:08:14 CET 2008

Hi!

Francois Suter wrote:
> When a page is renamed or moved, the encode cache of RealURL is flushed.
> This is fine because it allows for the generation of the new, updated
> speaking URLs. It is a problem because it means old URLs cannot be found
> anymore. This is bad for external search engines and bookmarked links.
>
> I try to understand what happens under the hood and found where the
> cache tables (both encode and decode) were emptied. It seems that this
> would be a good point to select what is in the encode table before it is
> flushed and create corresponding entries in the redirects table, so that
> old URLs are not lost.
>
> Would this be a good way of doing things or am I missing something?

Path cache stays. If entries are there, realurl will still find pages using old path. And you can set expiration time for old paths if you want (Web>Info module).

To make all your URLs go to path cache, make a page with sitemap and visit this page when you are logged out from BE.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core team