[TYPO3-dev] Keeping a history of old URLs with RealURL

Francois Suter fsuter at cobweb.ch
Tue Feb 5 13:54:28 CET 2008

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this post is appropriate for the dev list, but since it
involves development, here goes :-)

When a page is renamed or moved, the encode cache of RealURL is flushed.
This is fine because it allows for the generation of the new, updated
speaking URLs. It is a problem because it means old URLs cannot be found
anymore. This is bad for external search engines and bookmarked links.

I try to understand what happens under the hood and found where the
cache tables (both encode and decode) were emptied. It seems that this
would be a good point to select what is in the encode table before it is
flushed and create corresponding entries in the redirects table, so that
old URLs are not lost.

Would this be a good way of doing things or am I missing something?

Cheers

--

Francois Suter