[TYPO3-dev] Using CDN with Typo3

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry at typo3.org
Sat Dec 27 21:01:31 CET 2008

Hi!

John Angel wrote:
> Have anybody used Content Delivery Network (CDN) with Typo3?

I did some experiments but it proved difficult, so I ended up on client caching. Client caching lowers bandwidth dramatically and media loads even faster than with CDN. For example, pages in my blog load necessary JS/CSS/images only once. All those things are cached for a month on the client side. This is good for a small site but for large site CDN will have certain advantage, of course. But you should check that they send proper cache headers or you will be paying for bandwidth unnecessarily.

Using CDN is generally safe for images but not for JavaScripts/CSS, especially from extensions. Sometimes there are issues with permissions inside scripts (especially in MSIE).

> So, I am looking for a way to implement it into Typo3. The goal is to change all image paths in HTML from local typo3temp directory to external URL.

RTE will not work, this is for sure.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core team