[TYPO3-dev] Feature Request: Getting rid of TCA palettes

Franz Holzinger franz at ttproducts.de
Sat Dec 27 10:11:53 CET 2008

Simon Tuck a écrit :
> Franz Holzinger wrote:
>
>> Maybe to you the IRRE feature is easy to understand, but not for most
>> normal users.
>> Therefore a palette is needed to hide difficult options from normal
>> users.
>
> Can we agree to have this discussion without recourse to "normal users"?
>  I seriously doubt that either of us is an authority on "normal users"
It does not matter, if you consider a normal or an advanced user here.
It is still more easy to find all fields of the same topic together on
the same place. It is a disadvantage to have to look on another tab, if
you already see the notes field and your are then looking for the notes2
field.

>> All important things shall be visible on the first palette already. You
>> can limit your explanations to the first palette. This will be more
>> easy for them. They do not need to care about the more sophisticated
>> fields.
>
> I think you mean tabs. Tabs are not the issue here.
No, the fields from the palettes are just beside those from the types
line of $TCA. I really meant palette here and not the tabs. The first
palette is the types-0-array, however. So I have used the wrong naming
for palette 1 here.

>> Only the more enhanced users will see and modify the secondary options.
>> If a user has so little knowledge about TYPO3, that he does not see
>> the 'secondary options', then he should better not use it at the
>> moment. If
>
> You misunderstand me: It's about efficiency and ease of use, not skill.
> And anyway, it seems kind of ass-backwards to blame the end-users for
> the complexity of TYPO3.
Why do you think that this is easier to use to have the not so
frequently used fields on different tabs than in the context after the
main fields of a theme? This might be better for small extensions with
very few fields, but not with big extensions with more than 30 fields
for a table and more than 3 tabs.

>> options' shall be moved to the top of the TCE page and also have a
>> symbol.
>
> Well it's not what I'm requesting, but it would be an improvement.
>
> Obviously we'll just have to agree to disagree. Perhaps future versions
> of TYPO3 will have a more configurable backend and be able to accomodate
> both our views.
Nobody knows.

I agree to show the 'secondary options' as a default for users.

- Franz