[TYPO3-dev] TV patches/updates

Thomas Allmer at at delusionworld.com
Wed Dec 17 23:38:35 CET 2008

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] wrote:

> Thomas Allmer wrote:
>> ok, I now found this...
>> http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=9875
>>
>> does this meet the conditions?
>> hmm, hardly seems so... so we need to encourage Niels to write a better
>> description?
>
> This is one long patch, so it will not come into SVN in anyway. Only one
> change per patch is allowed. The reason for this rule is simple: suppose
> this large patch has a bug. How do we fix it easily? If the patch is
> small, finding the problem is much easier: less code to review. Also
> reverting small patches/commits is much easier. This rule is the same as
> for the TYPO3 core: only one issue per commit :) This rule makes sure that
> we can quickly revert one feature if necessary without affecting other
> features. If I apply this large patch, I'll have to revert it as whole if
> later I find problems. So all changes for 8 bug reports will disappear. If
> I apply each fix individually, I will need to revert only one bad patch
> and leave other 7 working.
>
> Hope it explains the process :)

yeah sure I'm completely with you in this matter... (not that you would need
my consent.. *hehe*)

but... some of Niels changes are really cool... I mean I love his new Mapper
(editing ts, editing the input field values for select... ) that's exactly
what it would need to easily create complex Flexible Elements..

it's quite hard to always keep copies of all DS, just in case I at some
point just change a description of a point, or add something... make it
compare it with my manual changes and then copy/paste it by hand...

I'm not sure if Niels has a "less" patches versions around... he should have
used its own svn, as working with patches that build on each other are quite
bad, and they also become invalid once the "original" svn is updated... :(

I don't want to offend anyone with this... I just find it sad, to see really
cool changes lying around and probably never included... I tried to extract
some changes to supply them as separate patches but dam that's hard - not my
code and so much code... *hehe*