[TYPO3-dev] TV patches/updates

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry at typo3.org
Fri Dec 12 09:57:42 CET 2008

Hi!

Thomas Allmer wrote:
> ok, I now found this...
> http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=9875
>
> does this meet the conditions?
> hmm, hardly seems so... so we need to encourage Niels to write a better
> description?

This is one long patch, so it will not come into SVN in anyway. Only one change per patch is allowed. The reason for this rule is simple: suppose this large patch has a bug. How do we fix it easily? If the patch is small, finding the problem is much easier: less code to review. Also reverting small patches/commits is much easier. This rule is the same as for the TYPO3 core: only one issue per commit :) This rule makes sure that we can quickly revert one feature if necessary without affecting other features. If I apply this large patch, I'll have to revert it as whole if later I find problems. So all changes for 8 bug reports will disappear. If I apply each fix individually, I will need to revert only one bad patch and leave other 7 working.

Hope it explains the process :)

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core team