[TYPO3-dev] Typo3 4.2 Cache Bug?

Klaus Hinum k_hinum at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 30 23:34:35 CEST 2008

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] schrieb:
> Klaus Hinum wrote:
>> We don't have mbstring installed (have ordered it at our server).
>> using mb_substr() should solve the problem, but afaik the problem
>> started after the upgrade to 4.2 (we did not update php at this
>> moment, perhaps a security update was installed).
>>
>> Only the caching is affected. The uncached preview is working fine
>> (only the "ä" for example is cut to an "?").
>
> But this means that something is still wrong at your installation. ?
> means that character sets are not handled properly. Solving it may solve
> cache problem too.
>
> Do you have forceCharset set to something in Install tool?
>
> I have no problems on 8 sites that use non-latin1 characters.

I have forceCharset set to UTF-8 and also have set an UTF-8 connection
to the db with [SYS][setDBinit]

We have now solved the problem by using the mb_substr() function. Still
I think the Typo3 cache shouldn't just stop writing the cached data in
the db without any error message.

Does the Typo3 string cutting function take UTF-8 into consideration?
Does it need mbstring?

Greetings
Klaus