[TYPO3-dev] sysext's

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Tue Apr 1 15:33:09 CEST 2008

Hi Ben,

> After reading Tobias' mail about removing t3editor from the core, on the
> corelist, I am wondering if anything has been decided about removing
> indexed_search and dbal from the core as well. The reason for
> indexed_search might be it's performance issues and for dbal the fact that
> almost no-one uses it. I think it is a good idea to have a slim core as
> has been mentioned before on the core list.

Well yes, indexed_search is quite the opposite of a Porsche, but still it
works quite nicely on small sites without any special requirements, and it
is fully integrated with TYPO3.

I consider the performance issues are solveable, and actually I'm already
working on this...

Regarding DBAL, I think that this is important that we support alternative
DBMs out of the box.

I don't matter about the size of DBAL but rather think that the overhead
that it generates is quite huge, and other options should be checked. Our
SQL queries have always been pretty simple and I think it should be
possible to port them to other systems without using adodb at all...

So yes to replace DBAL with something simpler, but no to remove alternative
DBM support in general.

(If you still disagree, please let's focus on 4.2 first and discuss it at
T3DD08...)

> I can also mention that together with Dmitry we have improved mnoGoSearch
> so it can be used more easily. We still have a list of things that need to
> be done. On average search takes 0.05 seconds searching 200.000 pages.

Well, remember we talked about this in Amsterdam already. I like the fact
that there is an alternative to indexed search now. However, it also seems
to me that also mnoGoSearch has several drawbacks, so it would not be
perfect either.

For now I would like to focus on indexed_search and see how far we get if
fulltext indexing is implemented...

- michael
--
Use a newsreader! Check out