[TYPO3-dev] TYPO3-Site Maintanance

Steffen Kamper steffen at sk-typo3.de
Thu Sep 27 13:01:52 CEST 2007

"Krystian Szymukowicz" <t33kRE.MO.VE. at RE.MO.VE.prolabium.com> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag
news:mailman.1.1190876028.28491.typo3-dev at lists.netfielders.de...
> Olivier Dobberkau wrote:
>> Steffen Kamper schrieb:
>>
>>> When others are interested in i could post a patch for it in BT
>>
>> I like the idea too.
>>
>> Better would be something using mod_rewrite...
>>

>> Stolen from Ruby on Rails..
>>
>> # Check for maintenance file and redirect all requests
>>
>>   RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/system/maintenance.html -f
>>   RewriteCond %{SCRIPT_FILENAME} !maintenance.html
>>   RewriteRule ^.*$ /system/maintenance.html [L]
>>
>> Maybe the Installer can have such an Function..
>

> +1
>
> mod_rewrite seems to really the best solution.
>
> I would add only IP developer mask:
> RewriteCond %{REMOTE_HOST} !^123\.123\.123\.123
>
> or access only with some special cookie (if no IP possible)
> RewriteCond %{HTTP_COOKIE} !(cookiename)
>

> Advantages:
> 1) no localconf.php, index.php needed
> 2) no PHP needed
> 3) no database needed
> 4) access to site for developer - maintenance for others
>

> The main possibility (for me at least) is that is allows to make fast
> TYPO3 upgrade. I usually make a copy of TYPO3 site which I upgrade to see
> if there is no problem - but this is time consuming. With such maintenance
> solution I could even make a mistake in localconf.php and the maintenance
> site will still show up.
>
> As Olivier said Installer is a good place to implement that.
>
> --
> Krystian

I like that really, because it could be done very easy without patching
index.php and also without localconf.php.
I would place the maintaning-file in typo3conf, so there is no problem with
write access and the file could be renamed simply.

To use the IP as exception is very good, as it gives the possibility to
access the page despite maintainance. The problem I see is that this IP has
to be inserted manually, as i don't see an easy solution to do that from
install tool, ideas are welcome.

So i will look for a patch for installer in this direction.

vg  Steffen