[TYPO3-dev] TYPO3 4.2 Alpha 1

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Wed Sep 12 06:00:08 CEST 2007

>> let me quote []
>>   http://news.typo3.org/news/article/typo3-42-alpha-1/
>> tells me:
>>   "To run TYPO3 4.2alpha1 you need to have at least PHP 5.2."
>>
>> I guess it'd be best to correct this text (now, or at least ASAP for
>> the next alpha) in order to be in line with the current SVN -
>> upcomming alphas / betas. [2]
>>
>> The way the requirements (php 5.2) are stated now will definitely
>> scare sysadmins running SLES10 / RHEL.... (only 5.1) away, thus
>>   "Please test this Alpha as much as possible"
>> won't work for those sysadmins.
>
> I know, but we want to get people to install/update to PHP 5.2... The
> mentioned distributions might get 5.2 until the final release of 4.2
> anyways. If that's not the case then we might change the "official"
> requirement.

The problem might not be the distribution but the current environment, which
is setup to run TYPO3 versions before 4.2.
If you are running PHP as apache module (which is true for many hosters as
well) you can decide if you want PHP4 _OR_ PHP5 but can't have both of them.
A first check after switching to PHP5 just showed that there are several
extensions that simply refuse to work with PHP5 (even extdeveval doesn't
work anymore due to a redeclared $this!). Since I have to make sure that the
current TYPO3 installs hosted on my live server still run smoothly with
TYPO3 versions <= 4.1.2, I unfortunately had to switch back to PHP4 again,
which means: Can't test TYPO3 4.2 so far and additionally means: Can't check
out the new IRRE features which might have been an additional boost for the
upcoming ICE pack.

IMHO it's a "no go", if you have to upgrade your whole system just to update
to a new TYPO3 version while the current versions of many extensions won't
run on this upgraded system yet and this might put even more people on a
track leading away from TYPO3.
Maybe some day you will recognize that it is less important, what you guys
want people to do, but it is much more important what people want you guys
to do.

Just my 2 cents

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian