[TYPO3-dev] RFC: Introducing a "User Tools" main module

Francois Suter fsuter at cobweb.ch
Fri Oct 19 17:24:17 CEST 2007

Hi,

> Maybe it is, but I ususally work as admin and so I don't like yet
> another module taking up precious space in the module frame.

I can understand that :-)

> Or we can drop the admin-only feature for "Tools". IIRC the docs says
> only this is a cheap way of "access control". I think it is already
> possible to make a sub-module admin-only. So why do we need any extra
> magic?

Indeed it is perfectly possible to put the admin-only constraint at
submodule level, but this has additional impact: we would need to change
the function that gets the list of modules for the BE users and BE
groups forms, because Tools-related module are not shown in that list.
If we want to keep filtering the admin-only submodules automatically, it
becomes necessary to read the conf.php file for each module and check
the existence of something like:

$MCONF['access'] = 'admin';

if I'm not mistaken...

Doesn't this make the process too complicated then?

Cheers

--

Francois Suter