[TYPO3-dev] utf8 Collation

Steffen Kamper steffen at sk-typo3.de
Mon Oct 1 19:10:46 CEST 2007

"Ron Hall" <ron at busynoggin.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:mailman.153.1191256233.20721.typo3-dev at lists.netfielders.de...
>I just need a quick opinion from you all.
>
> I am trying to standardize my new TYPO3 installations. In setting up  a
> new database I have been using utf8 with a default collation of
> utf8_general_ci.
>
> With some of the research I have been doing I am beginning to wonder  if I
> should be using a collation of utf8_bin.
>
> What are your recommendations for both character set and collation on  new
> TYPO3 databases?
>
> Thank you,
> Ron Hall
> Dallas, Texas
>
> blog: "Adventures in TYPO3" at www.busynoggin.com/blog
> web: www.busynoggin.com

Hi,

using utf-8 as standard for character set and collation you are open for any
languages that can't be displayed with a latin charset. So this is a good
choice.
If you only use one language you can use a different one.

Collation is nothing more than the order of records when using ORDER in SQL.
Normally the utf8-collation fit's the right order, there are only some
special cases where it doesn't, so in german there are some problems with
"Umlaut" like ä,ö,ü, where normally ä is before ae - in utf8 collation it's
at the beginning.

vg  Steffen