[TYPO3-dev] Raising Mysql requirements to 4.1?

Martin Kutschker Martin.Kutschker at n0spam-blackbox.net
Mon Oct 1 10:47:56 CEST 2007

Steffen Kamper schrieb:
> "Martin Kutschker" <Martin.Kutschker at n0spam-blackbox.net> schrieb im
> Newsbeitrag
> news:mailman.1.1191226542.27232.typo3-dev at lists.netfielders.de...
>> Hi!
>>
>> Now that TYPO3 4.2 will require PHP 5.1 it's time to think also about
>> Mysql requirements. Maybe TYPO3 will run on 3.23, but it's not
>> recommended, so I guess the true requirement is probably Mysql 4.0. But
>> only 4.1 offers true UTF-8 support and it would be nice if TYP3 could
>> start to rely on that fact. I think we could also require 5.0, but what
>> does theis mean to currrent installations? What is shipped with current
>> distros?
>>
>> Masi
>
> good idea - with php5 there is also mysql >=5 (geentoo, suse)
> so good idea.
> But what is main point with version 5? the most important step was 4.1 which
> brought the collations.

That's my reason for a minimum of 4.1

> Subqueries/stored procedures are also important extensions, but atm there is
> no use of it.

You mean "no use in TYPO3 context" or generally? I don't think that TYPO3
should rely on stored procedures as there is no standard for them. But
aren't subqueries available in 4.1? It'd be nice to make use of them.

> Maybe with making the "native support" as discussed in PG thread there could
> be done some additional functions supporting
> fulltext

I have done research on that topic and can say now that it may be possible
to be a wrapper/API for that but syntax, configuration and features of full
text indices vary wildly.

> replace

AFAIK there is no standard for that and only Mysql supports it.

> insert on duplicate key update etc.

DB errors are seldom portable :-(

Masi