[TYPO3-dev] De-admin the "Tools" module

Ralf Hettinger ng at ralfhettinger.de
Thu Nov 15 14:58:12 CET 2007

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] schrieb:
> Steffen Kamper wrote:
>
>> in my eyes it's easy and obvious to use tools-menu and de-admin. Each
>> mod can configured if admin-only or not, so i don't really understand
>> the vetos.
>

> The whole idea of the Tools module was that it is available for admin
> only. Anything, that ordinary user can see, should go User module. I do
> not see why Tools should be used instead of User.
>
> When I started with TYPO3, I was surprised about this as well but then
> found that it fits good. You got admin-only tools in Tools and
> everything else under User. It is similar to /sbin and /bin on *nix
> systems. Quite logical separation.

I have the feeling that the reason for this discussion is a bit affected by
wording and labelling, too.

As Dmitry is pointing out, the current ordering is 'logical' compared to *nix
OSs, but his analogy fits for other reasons as well: A common editor will not
find submodules lined up beneath 'User' since he's not expecting anything useful
there ('Who or what is User?... Me?'). An editor with a more technical
background may understand the reason for 'User' or at least will read along (as
well as he may find it logical to separate between [usr]/bin and /sbin or has at
least the will and patience to dig deeper).

But should an editor be necessarily of that type of person?
As from my experience this very rarely is the case in real life circumstances
when using TYPO3 and consequently that's the reason why the 'User' module is
lacking of usage way to often.

So my suggestion to solve might sound ... a bit of not solving the problem at all:
Maybe it would satisfy many of the issues brought up to just find better
labellings for the modules 'User'(maybe ->'Tools') and 'Tools' (maybe->'Admin
Tools') and indeed change not the technical background handing the two modules'
functions but for the one or other submodule its parent?

Just an idea ;)
Ralf