[TYPO3-dev] Ideas backend documentation

Erik Svendsen erik at linnearad.no
Wed Nov 7 10:19:03 CET 2007

Hello Bernd,

We had that functionality on the old documentation (before the new webpages
in 2006). Helped myself a lot when I was new to TYPO3 in 2004.

But to the real subject.
* I think the inline help could be better than today. One way is to use the
csh part of the translations. Another is to have the opportunity to configure
linking from the ? symbol to specific help files for each specific type of
content element. The help files could be some kind of renderer documentation.
A solution like this will give opportunities for standard documentation,
but also for more specific online help - target at a specific installation/customer.

> Christoph Lindenmueller schrieb:
>
>> Hi T3 Dev,
>>
>> I wonder what improvements regarding the documentation workflow could
>> be a project for my diploma thesis. I thought about improving the
>> inline help (? symbol) using AJAX and generate OpenOffice "Manuals"
>> for Users.
>>
>> What about pulling the help text/images from a wiki in order to make
>> text updates easier?
>>
>> What do you think about providing the possility to insert
>> installation-specific help items?
>>
>> What are your thoughts how to improve the documentation workflow?
>>
> I confess I nearly never used context-help as the information provided
> was of no good to my needs.
>
> This might be because I normaly configure the system (as admin).
>
> For editors this can be a good help to know how they have to fill in
> fields and what they have to watch for. This is information I (=admin)
> can provide.
> But this might only belong to this installation. So an exchange to a
> central service might confuse others.
> My admin-view: I want a good documentation about features I can
> configure. This mostly means TypoScript. the best documentation yet
> (tsref) lacks imho two things:
> 1. version information: for every feature/value the version since when
> it was implemented
> 2. the possibility for everyone to add good examples. espacially for
> beginners the documentation is hard to understand as there are to less
> and to small examples
> (maybe something the manuals on php.net)
> Bernd

WBR,
Erik Svendsen
www.linnearad.no